Scotch Whisky Review: Lauders Blended Scotch

Let's face it, you don't always need to be drinking an expensive scotch to enjoy your night off. Sometimes, you just want something cheap that's going to last awhile. I know what I like when it comes to scotch but since you can't always get what you want, sometimes you have settle for a cheaper "drinking" whisky.

Unlike some whisky drinkers, I don't believe that you should only drink the finest scotch all of the time. I suppose that's great if you can afford it, but for the rest of us, there has to be at least one cheap scotch you keep in your cabinet for the days when the entire experience is centered around the drink itself.

I believe if you're not able to fully immerse yourself in the experience, then there is no reason to go expensive. The trick is in finding a scotch that doesn't taste like dragon's breath and is affordable.

Right now, I'm on the search for a decent, cheap scotch that can be enjoyed in those moments when you're not completely involved in the act of tasting. I'm looking for a scotch that can serve as a stable, and that I can keep around without having a heart attack thinking about the cost every time I pour a shot.

As much as I'm not crazy about Lauders Scotch, and I probably won't be buying it again, it still beats the hell out of Jack Daniels and Jim Beam. I hate bourbon, and I'm beginning to realize that even the cheapest scotch is still superior to bourbon.

The History of Lauders

Back in 2009, Barton Brands purchased this "fine" whisky. The lineup includes Fleischmann's Vodka, Fleischmann's Gin, Ten High Bourbon, and Mr. Bostom Five Star Canadian. With company like this, it's hard to imagine how this scotch could fail. It was even awarded the Gold Meda in the 1893 Chicago World's Fair. Since then, it's been mostly heralded as a cheap way to get drunk.

My Experiences With Cheap Scotch

I've had some scotch that really burns, and I simply won't drink it unless it's in a mixed drink. There are some scotches that smell of rocket fuel and the smell alone will give you a splitting headache. While I'm no expert on scotch, I do know what I like.

When I was living in Japan, I drank Ballantine's, mostly. I never bought anything more expensive than the 12-year. I liked Ballantine's, but I always had to add it to water to bring out the flavor. Chivas was another brand that I bought on occasion, and it was significantly better than Ballantine's. However, I could get a bottle of White Horse for less than 700 yen, or about $7, and that was typically the scotch I bought. Johnnie Walker was the scotch that I would buy maybe every three months, and I would splurge on a Glenlivet 12 year every six months.

Since scotch was so much more expensive in Japan, I learned to experiment with brands I might otherwise never touch. I discovered that there were definitely some cheap scotches out there that taste as good as a scotch three times the price. There are also what I consider the Miller Light or Coors of Scotch, the kind of stuff that you should probably never drink unless your very life is at stake.

My point? I've tried a lot of cheap scotch. The Lauders Scotch is better than Ballantine's. My criteria for this? I am able to drink it straight. But still, it tastes overwhelmingly of sugary cereal, which likely indicates a large amount of grain whisky. I prefer barley and scotch that has been aged at least 12 years, but who can afford to drink a scotch that costs $100 on a regular basis.

If your mind is preoccupied with a movie, a good book, or a new piece of music, then the Lauders is a decent buy. I think it would be a good scotch to have on hand if you're having a party and people who don't care or know any better just want a mixed drink.

It's not ideal if you're sitting down to experience the scotch and really enjoy the nuanced flavors. The most nuance you're going to get from this bottle of scotch is a little bit of nuttiness, some saltwater, and a strong grain taste. It's not bad, it's drinkable, and it serves well at a medium-cooled temperature.

My Impressions

The following is an overview of my impressions with Lauders Original Blended Scotch. I'll actually be updating this section each time I try the scotch as I have found that some scotches tend to improve as they breathe and some get worse. 

Initial Experience

I took the lid off the scotch and smelled it directly from the bottle. It smelled very fruity, and I couldn't detect any scent of ethanol. In my book, that's actually a good thing. I prefer to smell the area that the scotch comes from more than anything else.

When I poured it into a glass, it lost some of its aromas. The nose is mild, and honestly, pretty boring, but not offensive. The most noticeable aroma is one of cereal, but I could also smell some saltwater and mineral. It wasn't bad, but it's not as pleasant as some of the high-end scotch that is available. Of course, what do you expect for $15 a bottle?

There are notes of peat, but Lauders Scotch is mostly cereal. Seriously, you could have it for breakfast but you might get some strange looks. The palate is medium-bodied and it is remarkably well-balanced for a scotch of this price range. You get a bit of caramel sweetness with this, and the finish medium-length with a developed oak, albeit musty, dryness. For the most part, I enjoyed it, but I think for a few dollars extra you can get something more interesting. I'll probably try a mixed drink to see how it fares in cocktails.

Day Two: It Gets Worse

I'm not sure what happened the first night. Maybe it was some sort of psychological defense mechanism where I had put out the money for this whisky, so I was going to enjoy it. It seems the second night has knocked some sense into me. It's absolutely not drinkable neat. Maybe it will work with a cocktail, but the entire experience tonight is just pure burn. The aroma is nice, it does smell of fruit, but that's where the positive aspect of this experience ends.

It works well with as a mixer with coke, and that's likely how I'll be able to finish this bottle. When you mix it with coke, it really brings out that fruity aroma that I could smell but not taste.

Day Three: It Has Its Purpose

If you do decide to purchase this scotch, it's okay for use in mixers, but that's really the only use I can honestly advise you use it for. I've tried everything, and leaving it in the freezer does tend to neutralize some of the most offensive flavors. Overall, I think there are better cheap scotches available on the market, and while this is suitable in a crunch its not one that I would recommend.

The Tasting

So, I've given this whisky a fair shake and it's still gawdawful. Still, for those of you who have completely blocked sinuses, this whisky probably won't do you any harm.

The Nose

At first, the nose started off rather fruity. Then it changed to an ethanol-infused nightmare. Finally, it settles down into a mildly spicy hint of graham crackers and grapes. You think there is some smoke for a moment, then you realize it's just the fact you're in denial that you bought this whisky at all.

The Palate

It's extremely sweet. That's what makes it so well suited to mixed drinks. Seriously, this scotch is better than any bourbon I've tried in a mixed drink. Sugar brings out the flavor and a bit of honey makes this one sing. 

The Finish

I wish I could tell you, but it's lost before you have a chance to realize it was ever there. It's rough for sure, and it's definitely grainy. It doesn't last that long, though, and like all merciful deaths, this one ends quickly.

Final Verdict

So, my verdict? Obviously, you can't compare this to a single malt whisky and only a complete snob would do that anyway. It's a bare bones scotch that is probably worth its price, but when you consider how little it actually does costs that isn't saying much. It's drinkable, barely, but you would have to be pretty desperate to want to make this your go-to nightly scotch. I think it would be perfectly fine for the college student who just wants something a little different. Overall, I wouldn't recommend you stock your liquor cabinet with this whisky. I think it's ultimate just suitable for getting drunk or adding to a mixed drink.

It's still better than bourbon, and it's good enough to drink by itself if you chill it for a bit. Water doesn't seem to bring out any of the flavors, but letting it sit after having chilled it does seem to bring out a hint of vanilla. It tastes like it's been aged in reused casks, which is to say, it tastes a bit of old wood. There is a slightly smoky flavor, and it's not the worst. However, I will be trying another scotch at the low end. Ultimately, this is not the "daily" scotch I was looking for but I will be finishing the bottle unless I find out that I have a pressing need to strip the paint from my car.

TLDR: Suitable only for use a mixer. It's passable, not absolutely horrid but it's certainly lacking in character. Overall, it's only mildy offensive and it's drinkable in its own desperate way.

Will I buy it again? No.

The next scotch I'll be trying is Clan MacGregor. We'll see if its any better.


1 comment:

  1. I just noticed this . . . cheap . . . scotch on the shelf and decided to give it a try. It was only $10 for a 1.0L in Oklahoma. I haven't tasted it yet (it's 3:00 in the afternoon) and I really wasn't expecting much. But after reading your review I'm almost afraid to. I do have an old Miata I'm restoring and it does need the paint stripped. So maybe. We'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.